Click on a question below, to drop down to the answer.
The Association of International Wealth Management ("AIWM") is a non-profit association established to encourage, promote and strengthen global education in the wealth management industry and to set a globally recognised standard for the qualification of private banking professionals. The Association is a development of the renowned Swiss Financial Analysts Association (SFAA). The AIWM now has more than 3,500 members including financial and investment fund analysts, asset managers, wealth managers and fund managers.
The AIWM seeks to achieve its objectives by:
- Facilitating research and high-quality education and training in the field of international private banking
- Providing an internationally recognised certification in the wealth management/private banking field, the Certified International Wealth Manager (CIWM®)
- Establishing a Code of Conduct governing the work and activities of members
- Providing members with opportunities for continuing professional development
- Developing a worldwide member community
- Fostering the exchange of information and experience between members and partners
- Cooperating with national and international partners
- Representing the Association's interests vis-à-vis governmental and regulatory authorities and the public at regional, national and international level
- Communicating actively between members, partners, media representatives and the public
- Assisting wealth owners in identifying appropriately trained professionals to help address their wealth management needs
The AIWM is for professionals involved in the private banking industry that have an interest in the needs of today's wealth owners. Membership is of specific interest to:
- Private Bankers
- Wealth Managers
- Portfolio Managers
- Investment Advisors
- Asset Managers
- Fund Managers
- Relationship Managers
- Economic Researchers
- Insurance Consultants and Product Developers
- Wealth and Estate Planners
- Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Lawyers etc
Professional membership is open to those who have demonstrated competence in the field of wealth management through examination or experience. All members accept the obligation to uphold and abide by the AIWM Code of Conduct.
Professional membership can be achieved by:
- Demonstratable or proven professional experience
This route is available to professionals who:
- Have been awarded the Associate Wealth Manager AWM® or Certified International Wealth Manager CIWM® designation
- Provide references attesting to good character and personal integrity
- Agree to abide by the Association's Code of Conduct
Experienced practitioners, able to demonstrate at least five years of active practice in cross-border private banking/wealth management or graduates who have completed University or other tertiary studies including examinable course work on at least five of ten defined areas may apply for membership which will be granted at the discretion of the AIWM.
Anyone enrolled in the AWM® or CIWM® programmes will automatically be granted a student membership. This membership will last for the duration of the programme.
You can download the application form on the AIWM website. Your application will be reviewed by AIWMs Board of Directors.
Anyone enrolled in the AWM® or CIWM® programme will automatically be granted a student membership. This membership will last for the duration of the programme.
AIWM membership benefits include:
- Invitations for educational courses, conferences and events
- International news feeds relevant to the wealth management and financial industry
- Access to a global community of private bankers
The yearly membership fee is CHF 195.
All AIWM members accept the obligation to uphold and abide by the association's Code of Conduct. This is to demonstrate that their conduct is governed by the highest standards of ethical behaviour and professionalism.
Violating the association's Code of Conduct can lead to the expulsion from the association.